Sunday 1 September 2013

1966 USA Hit Parade

JANUARY 1, 1966

1.  The sound of silence - Simon & Garfunkel
2.  I got you (I feel good)  -  James Brown 
3.  Ebb tide  -  The Righteous Brothers
4.  Over and over  -  The Dave Clark Five
5.  Five o'clock world  -  The Vogues

6.  Make the world go away  -  Eddy Arnold
7.  Flowers on the wall -  The Statler Brothers
8.  The men in my little girl's life (spoken) -  Mike Douglas
9.  Michelle  -  David & Jonathan
10. Cleo's mood  -  Jr. Walker & The All Stars
5 February 1966.

1.  We can work it out  -  The Beatles

2.  Day tripper  -  The Beatles
3.  Barbara Ann  -  The Beach Boys
4.  As tears go by  -  The Rolling Stones
5.  My love  -  Petula Clark

6.  Lightning strikes again  -  Lou Christie 
7.  Uptight (Everything's alright)  -  Stevie Wonder
8.  You didn't have to be so nice  -  The Lovin' Spoonful   
9.  A must to avoid  -  Herman's Hermits
10. No matter what shape (your stomach's in)  -  The T-Bones
MARCH 5, 1966

1.  These boots are made for walkin'  -  Nancy Sinatra
2.  California dreamin'  -  The Mamas & the Papas
3.  The Ballad of the Green Berets  -  SSgt. Barry Sadler
4.  My world is empty without you  -  The Supremes
5.  Working my way back to you babe  -  The Four Seasons

6.  19th Nervous breakdown  -  The Rolling Stones   
7.  Elusive butterfly  -  Bob Lind
8.  I fought the Law  -  Bobby Fuller Four
9.  You're my soul and inspiration  -  The Righteous Brothers
10. Listen people  -  Herman's Hermits
APRIL 2, 1966

1.  Good lovin'  -  The Young Rascals  
2.  Daydream  -  The Lovin' Spoonful
3.  Bang bang (My baby shot me down)  -  Cher
4.  Nowhere man  -  The Beatles
5.  Homeward bound  -  Simon & Garfunkel 

6.  Secret agent man  -  Johnny Rivers 
7.  Sure gonna miss her  -  Gary Lewis & The Playboys 
8.  I'm so lonesome I could cry  -  B.J. Thomas
9.  Time won't let me  -  The Outsiders 
10. Kicks  -  Paul Revere & The Raiders
MAY 7, 1966

1.  Monday, Monday  -  The Mamas & the Papas
2.  Sloop John B  -  The Beach Boys
3.  Rainy day women #12 & 35  -  Bob Dylan
4.  A groovy kind of love  -  The Mindbenders 
5.  Did you ever have to make up your mind?  -  The Lovin' Spoonful 

6.  Love is like an itching in my heart  -  The Supremes  
7.  How does that grab you, darlin'?  -  Nancy Sinatra 
8.  Leaning on a lamp post  -  Herman's Hermits 
9.  Message to Michael  -  Dionne Warwick 
10. Gloria  -  The Shadows of Knight 
JUNE 4,  1966

1.  When a man loves a woman  -  Percy Sledge
2.  Paint it black  -  The Rolling Stones 
3.  I am a rock  -  Simon & Garfunkel
4.  Strangers in the night  -  Frank Sinatra 
5.  Green grass -  Gary Lewis & The Playboys

6.  Red rubber ball  -  The Cyrkle
7.  You don't have to say you love me  -  Dusty Springfield 
8.  Barefootin'  -  Robert Parker
9.  It's a man's man's man's world  -  James Brown 
10. Cool jerk  -  The Capitols
JULY 9, 1966

1.  Paperback writer  -  The Beatles
2.  Wild thing  -  The Troggs 
3.  Hanky panky  -  Tommy James & The Shondells 
4.  Lil' Red Riding Hood  -  Sam the Sham & The 
5.  I saw her again  -  The Mamas & the Papas

6.  The Pied Piper  -  Crispian St. Peters 
7.  Mother's little helper  -  The Rolling Stones 
8.  Hungry  -  Paul Revere & The Raiders
9.  Little girl  -  Syndicate of Sound 
10. Along comes Mary  -  The Association 
AUGUST 13, 1966  

1.  Summer in the city  -  The Lovin' Spoonful 
2.  Sunny  -  Bobby Hebb  
3.  See you in September  -  The Happenings
4.  They're coming to take me away, ha haaa!  -  Napoleon IV
5.  Guantanamera  -  The Sandpipers 

6.  Land of the 1000 dances  -  Wilson Pickett
7.  Summertime  -  Billy Stewart
8.  I couldn't live without your love  -  Petula Clark 
9.  Sweet pea  -  Tommy Roe
10. Somewhere my love  -  Ray Conniff & the Singers
3rd September 1966

1.  Sunshine Superman  -  Donovan
2.  Cherish  -  The Association 
3.  Yellow submarine  -  The Beatles
4.  You can't hurry love  -  The Supremes
5.  Bus stop  -  The Hollies

6.  Wouldn't it be nice?  -  The Beach Boys
7.  Working in the coal mine  -  Lee Dorsey 
8.  Blowin' in the wind  -  Stevie Wonder
9.  Beauty is only skin deep  -  The Temptations
10. If I were a carpenter  -  Bobby Darin
OCTOBER 15, 1966

1.  Reach out I'll be there  -  The Four Tops 
2.  96 tears  -  Question Mark & the Mysterians 
3.  Black is black  -  Los Bravos
4.  Last train to Clarksville  -  The Monkees
5.  What becomes of the broken hearted?  -  Jimmy Ruffin 

6.  I've got you under my skin  -  The Four Seasons
7.  Have you seen your mother, baby, standing in the shadows?  -  The Rolling Stones 
8.  Walk away Renee  -  The Left Banke 
9.  Cherry, Cherry  -  Neil Diamond 
10. Psychotic reaction  -  Count Five
NOVEMBER  12, 1966

1.  Poor side of town  -  Johnny Rivers
2.  You keep me hangin' on  -  The Supremes
3.  Winchester Cathedral  -  The New Vaudeville Band  
4.  Good vibration  -  The Beach Boys  
5.  Mellow yellow  -  Donovan 

6.  Hooray for Hazel  -  Tommy Roe
7.  Rain on the roof  -  The Lovin' Spoonful 
8.  Lady Godiva  -  Peter & Gordon
9.  Dandy  -  Herman's Hermits
10. See see rider  -  Eric Burdon & The Animals
DECEMBER  24, 1966

1.  I'm a believer  -  The Monkees
2.  That's life  -  Frank Sinatra
3.  A place in the sun  -  Stevie Wonder
4.  Snoopy Vs. the Red Baron  -  The Royal Guardsmen
5.  Devil with a blue dress on & a good golly Miss Molly  -  Mitch & the Detroit Wheels

6.  (I know) I'm losing you  -  The Temptations
7.  I'm your puppet  -  James & Bobby Purify
8.  Look through my window  -  The Mamas & the Papas  
9.  Nashville cats  -  The Lovin' Spoonful 
10. Sugar town  -  Nancy Sinatra

The cover page from New York's WABC's 1966 'Top 100 of the Year' showing their main DJs. Dan Ingram went on to become the most popular of them all. Ron Lundy kept on working with the same station for years... and so did Chuck Leonard

No comments:

Post a Comment